Monday, June 13, 2005

Henry and the Golden Egg

Sorry it has been so long since I last wrote on the state of life here. We
have been very busy and we will finally take a break on Wednesday when we
take a couple days off and go to Berberati, 'the big city'. Actually, we
just heard that an internet cafe opened up there and an hour is only $2.
What a deal as far as I am concerned. I am looking forward to checking on
the state of the world. We will also have a chance just to wander around
and see what is there. Supposedly you can buy lettuce and cabbage and
garden vegetables in the market there. They may even have a few tourist
things like postcards or something.

I have been busy training a new assistant manager in the nursery at
Gamboula. I am training him in all things related to propagation, insect
and disease control, grafting and other stuff. He is a very good grafter
and very keen. He is planning on starting his own nursery at his house and
grafting his own trees for sale. I am trying to encourage him in this regard
as very few people here show much entrepreneurial initiative. Saturday, I
gave a second women's agroforestry seminar and, thanks to a recent donation,
was able to buy notebooks and pens for all the ladies to write notes (this
was their request).

We also bought a chicken Saturday and we named her Henrietta. We had her
tied up on our veranda until today. She kind of reminded me of our pet
chickens hen I was a kid. We gave her a box to hide in from the sun and
this morning when we brought her down to Leonard to kill her we found an egg
in the box. We kind of figured it was her last ditch attempt to avoid
death. We think she was thinking that if we saw her worth as an egg
producer we might not want to eat her after all. Darren said if we found 3
eggs it would be worth keeping her but one just didn't cut it. I guess he
was right. Anyway, I told Leonard we would eat her tomorrow after the
memory of Henry had faded in mind some. He just laughed. We do a lot of
laughing around here. It is like having your favourite uncle as your cook!
Today I was so tired and exhausted from a busy couple of weeks and poor
sleep that I just started laughing this morning. I couldn't get any words
out at all. He just laughed at me and I know he thinks I am just a little
crazier than anyone else out here. Oh well, people were bound to find out
sooner than later.

Today I am starting a series of workshops on grafting for the agroforestry
guys. We are going to teach them grafting 2 at a time over the course of
the week. This way there won't be knives flying all over the place and I
can have some control over the matter.

My other project right now is a going-away video for Sarah, a short-term
missionary whose time is up at the end of the month. She really does not
want to leave so I am going around filming all the missionaries and cooks
and people she knows here. I also arranged with her choir to film a
mini-concert. All of this and she doesn't know a thing. Her choir
assembled at the river yesterday, 3 km from the mission and we drove their
speakers and robes down there for them. They stood in the hot sun and sung
their hearts out and I got it all on tape. She is going to be so surprised
when she sees it. I am planning on giving it to her next week when her
parents are here and then show it to her choir. It is a fun project and
will bless her socks off I hope.

Well, better go prepare for the seminar and for bible study tonight. It is
my turn to give the lesson and I need to find a few words in Sango. Until
next time,
Angela

Please note that this address sends and receives e-mail via a satellite
phone connection. All e-mails over 25 kb will be returned to sender
unopened. Sorry for the inconvenience. For more updates on the Bosses,
please log onto http://thebosses.blogspot.com