Monday, October 31, 2005

Finally a hero...of sorts

For those of you who know me well, you will recall that I once tried to
donate blood with near disastrous results. Let's just say that I never made
it past the initial blood-typing finger prick. Years later I tried to give
blood again during one of the Red Cross' 'Holiday Hero' blood donation
campaigns. Needless to say they had me in the computer under 'never to give
blood again'. Well, today my blood was called into action and I stepped up
to the job, donating almost a full pint to the cause of life-saving. Anita,
our Swedish administrator in Berberati, a person on whom we rely on for
many, many things, recently developed a kind of cancer like illness in her
bones requiring her to have blood transfusions every 4-6 weeks for the rest
of her life. We happen to be the same blood type and since she required two
units of blood, both Darren and I gave this morning. Darren gives all the
time back home so to him it was nothing new, but this was my first
successful time and given my history, I had Darren and Aleta watching over
me the whole time waiting for any signs that I might keel over. I must
admit that it was not an entirely pleasant experience but it sure beats
going to the dentist!

So, in light of the approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, I
encourage all of you, especially those who have never given before, to
donate blood this year. Make it your Christmas gift to your local
neighbourhood. Besides, blood is kind of like money, when you give it away
you can always make more!

Happy blood letting,
Angela