Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Hmmm, amoebas

Just wanted to post a quick note to say why I haven't written a longer one
in some time. Between being busy, preparing for the coming of the heads of
the project's largest donor organizations and finding a slew of amoebas
having a tea party in my intestines, I am quite tired and haven't had much
time for writing.

One note about amoebas though. Don't leave home without medicine for them,
namely Flagil. I am not sure how people can believe we once descended from
the lowly amoeba because they sure don't get along with human beings in the
least. You know you have them when a simple case of traveller's diarrhoea
feels like child's play comparatively speaking. The meds for it are
supposed to make you even sicker for a spell but so far I am resisting them
well and have only required a loss of appetite, although raw carrots sound
really good. Thanks to our neighbour I dined on a bunch yesterday but will
have to do without for the rest of the illness. You can only get them in
Cameroon and they don't grow too well here. Anyway, not to be complaining
or anything because I do feel much better, can spare the weight loss and I
am eternally thankful that a medicine against them exists in the first
place. And besides, I am told that now that I have suffered through amoebas
and the cure I am a 'real' missionary. Whew, passed that test...