Saturday, December 10, 2005

Darren returns

I am happy to report that Darren has returned from Cameroon safe and sound
and a little bit lighter. His time in the north at a banana research
station was very profitable and will be of great help in our program here in
Gamboula and wherever else we go that happens to be banana producing.
Initially, Darren thought he would be learning to tissue culture bananas in
a laboratory setting. However, once he got there he found that they were
learning an altogether new and different technique. The technique he
learned is perfect for our setting as it requires all locally available
materials, is done outside, in non-sterile conditions, and the results are
still the rapid multiplication of bananas, nearly similar to what can be
achieved in tissue culture. I don't fully understand the technique myself
but I will by the time Darren has finished training me. In fact it is
something nearly anyone can learn without having to know the physiology
behind why it works.

After the training course Darren had 5 days to himself in Yaoundé waiting
for his plane flight to Gamboula. His flight in was BJ's flight home for
Christmas. We miss him at our table already but we are rejoicing with him
for his opportunity to go home for the holidays. Darren did lots of grocery
shopping for us and stocked us up on oats (to make granola), tuna, sardines,
and lots of fresh veggies like cabbage, carrots, green peppers and my
favourite, lettuce. We can freeze nearly everything but the lettuce, so
this week our systems are dealing with a lettuce overload. Not such a bad
thing and it is a nice change from eating spinach all the time. He also
bought me a gift of a can of pringles and a diet coke, both which are rare
and exciting and will make a nice edition to our next movie night.

As for work, Darren is catching up on accounting and I am busy in the
nursery. We are grafting like crazy as well as getting ready 5000 nursery
sacs for planting a high quality oil palm we bought in Cameroon from a
research station there. When we first bought them they were planted 5 to a
sac, now we are ready to divide them out one to a sac. 5000 is a lot of
sacs no matter what way you look at it. We fill sacs every other day in
order to give our backs a break. We are looking forward to Christmas and
spending it with new friends and family but I have to admit feeling a little
home sick today. Some days the problems in this place are too much for me
to handle and today is one of those days. However, I am thankful that
tonight is my prayer date with Clarisse and our times together always cheer
me up and restore hope in me.