Monday, September 25, 2006

All things are possible...

...including the reparation of a lightning damaged satellite phone in the heart of Africa.  With huge thanks to Jim Hocking, director of the NGO ICDI, who graciously agreed to take our phone with him to Bangui, he knew just the place to take it, and presto!, we have a working sat phone again.  All this and it only cost us the equivalent of $25.  He said that as soon as the guy heard what happened to the phone he knew just what part was busted, and amazingly of all, he had the piece needed and the right type of screw driver to take it apart.  This proves many people wrong from around here who thought it impossible that Central Africans could fix a thing such as this, but in my thinking, where else in the world could you fix a satellite phone.  They are more common here than many other places due to the fact that other modes of communication are nearly non-existent and there are probably a lot of dumb ex-pats out here who leave their phones plugged in during a thunderstorm, when every one else knows better not to. 
 
We are both well, though I must admit that time is passing far too quickly for me.  Each day that passes it seems that my relationships with my colleagues grow stronger, and the bond between Clarisse and I and her family grows deeper.  There now resides a constant ache in my heart at the thought of our inevitable departure and I find myself wanting to spend more and more time away from the mission, visiting with family or chatting and planning work with my colleagues.  Last Saturday afternoon, Clarisse, Eloi (her older brother, a chauffeur) and I rented a motorbike and took it with all three of us on it to Kentzou, Cameroon to visit her mom and dad and Clarisse and Eloi's kids who are there at school.  I felt like the creamy filling of an Oreo cookie, sandwiched between two chocolate cookies.  It was a great visit, Eloi is a good driver, and the military checkpoints were a breeze to pass through once I told them I was a missionary in Gamboula.  They normally ask for money but once I got to talking with them they let us alone.  I think they were all stunned to see me on a motor bike with two Central Africans and it made their day enough that they didn't ask for anything more. 
 
Tomorrow we are heading for Berberati again to help Josh and ICDI with their new demonstration farm.  We are planning on fencing it in over the next three days so that goats will not enter the trial plots and eat up all the beans they have already planted.  I hope to write more in depth once I get back.  I have plenty of thoughts to share as I reflect back over our time here, and look ahead at what is to come.  Writing helps me sort it all out. 
 
Hapata!