Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Home on the Range

Saturday night at midnight we made our arrival into North America with one bag and a dog.  The other three bags were some where between Washington DC and Victoria.  We were greeted with much excitement and joy by our families and were covered up in warm clothes before leaving the airport for exposure to the cold Canadian air.  We slept in after having been traveling for 36 hours straight and started Sunday morning with a chill in the air. 
 
We spent a good amount of time Sunday sorting through clothes that had been in boxes for three years or more only to find that Darren's wardrobe was significantly well stocked compared to mine!  Sunday evening we had a nice dinner with my mom and the Bosses and were able to catch-up a bit over a really good club-house sandwich and French fries.
 
Monday morning mom and I went shopping so I could find same pants in order to prevent death by exposure on my part.  Monday afternoon was more essentials shopping with my dad and step-mom and then dinner with them and my sister.   Mmmm, pizza.  So we have eaten well in the last two days, are slowly acclimatizing and realizing how much work we have to do in the next month.  We are scheduled to fly to Florida on the 16th of January to start our year of work in Florida.  I am trying to not be critical at all that I see but Christmas is definitely a hard time to not think back to the poverty we just left in light of all the excess around us here.  I need to keep reminding myself that we are in a different culture and because of that, we need to be just as sensitive and tolerant as we were in the Central African culture.  There is no difference. 
 
Anyway, I plan on writing more when I have time to think and be still for more than a few minutes.  Our dog, Koko, has adjusted well and everybody loves her so she is doing better than we are. 
 
Well, better go....Later