Friday, July 10, 2009

Missouri gold mine

One of the highlights of my time in Missouri was visiting the farm of an eclectic farm/artist couple who live in one of the most unique and delightful homes I have visited in a while. When farm meets artist it is a beautiful combination. The other thing of beauty on this farm was the discovery of a gold mine of Golden Chanterelle mushrooms. There were hundreds growing up under the oaks in the forest and we picked 6 pounds in no time. Chanterelle mushrooms sell for $20 a pound so it is like sitting on gold. We picked until we felt greedy and boxed them up for the farmers market. We also fried some up, mid-west style, and boy were they delicious. I could have eaten twice as many as I did but it is probably better that I didn’t. While I know that everything tastes better fried, these golden beauties would be a treat no matter how they were cooked. I wish my new friends all success in finding a market for their gold!





Posted by Picasa