Thursday, March 04, 2010

Surprise

I have never seen Benoit so excited as I have this week. From being 'decorated' by Masai women, a ceremony by which they present you with gifts of beadwork jewelry, to seeing herds of zebra, giraffe and wildebeest along side the car, to hearing that Masai do not steal from one another and that you can leave your house unlocked during the day. It was one surprise after another for him and I think he will have stories to tell for years to come.

More importantly, we met many community initiatives working to bring about food security. They were all run by Africans for Africans and I think this was very good for Benoit to see. He saw how the challenges here are not much different from the challenges in CAR, and yet here Kenyans are making a difference, finding local solutions to local problems. I think this will change how our project is working in CAR for the better and will give us lots to talk and think about over the next month.

When I get settled in Gamboula I will start posting up a storm.