Monday, January 07, 2008

Feasting on Fruit

Written January 5, 2008

As I write this letter Vicki and Paul are outside on the porch sampling two different Jackfruits they just picked off the CTC trees. It is 9:15pm and we just came back from pizza night with Paul and Sheryl and the kids. What a treat.

I have had terrible insomnia the last two nights and so haven’t actually had a nights sleep since Tuesday. I lay down to sleep and my heart rate goes up, my head starts spinning with all kinds of random thoughts and I count the hours on my watch until morning. I feel for anyone who lives like this all the time. So, after a quick trip downtown with Vicki to buy a few supplies, we ran into Sheryl at the store and came back to CTC with her cab and were invited for the pizza night. I am not sure why I can stay up all night worrying about stuff when God proves himself over and over that he is in control and has our best in mind.

Vicki had a nice surprise in the shower this morning. As she bent over to rinse her hair in the freezing cold water she saw a very giant centipede curled up in the corner of a very small shower. I heard her muffled shrieks and while she wrapped a towel around her self I came to the rescue with the dustpan and whisked it away and chucked it into the yard below. Welcome to Africa. Actually, Vicki is the hardiest soul I know so it is a joy to be here with her.

I still miss Darren like crazy, and that may be the source of my insomnia. I am praying for a good nights sleep tonight and maybe once we make it to more familiar territory in Berberati I will sleep like a baby.

Better go pack our bags and be on the road. We have an early start tomorrow and have to be at the airfield at 6:30 for our weigh in (no, not the biggest loser Africa Edition, but close). We will arrive in Berberati at 11:00 for my home coming and hopefully a chance to get on Skype with Darren.

This is not an easy trip. As much as I want to be here, I also long to be with Darren. I love being with Vicki so am praying that my double vision will not hinder my effectiveness in any way. This is a good lesson though. Next time, take Darren with you!