Friday, January 04, 2008

On the Road to CAR-I am human after all

So leaving is hard. Really hard. I am in the Victoria Airport already having said good bye to Darren and I am still fighting back the tears. We have been together for 15 years and it doesn’t get any easier to be away from each other, it just gets harder. I admit that I was feeling mighty cocky the last 6 months as planning for this trip was underway. Oh, I’ll be fine, 7 weeks is nothing. At this moment I know I will be fine but it isn’t nothing. I was wrong and I’m sorry for ever thinking it was easy.

Someone once describe ‘leaving’ to me before. He said that when we have a strong relationship with someone it is as if the two had really joined and become one. Like two different yarns that were knit together. He said that this is what God intended when he said that the two should become one, that we are knit together. When you separate, even for a time, it means separating out the two and it causes tears in the fabric. It hurts. And it should. It was designed that way. I felt this way when I left my faithful friends in Gamboula and I feel this way now, leaving my most faithful friend and companion.

I am not sure why I am blogging these thoughts. Maybe just to remind you and myself that I am human, that we are supposed to feel and that if it didn’t hurt, something would be wrong. Really wrong.